Legion Forums

Legion Forums (http://www.legionhq.org/index2.php)
-   The Colosseum (http://www.legionhq.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Legion: Nazi Symbolism (http://www.legionhq.org/showthread.php?t=19142)

Zjozz 13-04-2006 23:58

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Mofto 14-04-2006 00:00

Humm I was going to post something to the effect of "Wait we aren’t Nazis?" but it seems that this thread is becoming too serious for that :( .

Edit ... oops

Gravitas 14-04-2006 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
The symbol aside, did you read those huge fuckoff words The Legion and the motto Victuri Te Salutant before you posted? Did you notice that you posted on a forum known as the "colosseum"? Did the thought "ANCIENT ROME" not quite frankly drop out of the sky and smack you in the face like stone cold steve austin wielding a 2x4? Then to add insult to injury, you come onto a forum on the internet expecting not to be flamed for such stupidity and to cap it off for the irony of all ironies you call yourself "Gravitas".

All I want to know is how you are going to beat this fantastic feat of stupidity.

Nothing's as final as a direct address.

Tiddy 14-04-2006 00:07

heh

Empress 14-04-2006 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrealean
He is Canadian. We have to overlook his naive perception of the world due to his sheltered life in the Great White North.

what the fk you talking aboot u nazi... eh?

Canadians (except this retard) are extremely enlightened u twit! insulting my country makes u no different than this retard mr. ky so hush before i throw back bacon and toques at u :P

Maddix 14-04-2006 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddy
BTW, how long does it take you guys to type all those symbols out to make it look like some dude with a headache? Seems like it would take quite a while.

At a guess, copy and paste ftw? :tongue:

lokken 14-04-2006 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Nothing's as final as a direct address.

In an ancient Roman context, the word gravitas communicated a sense of dignity, seriousness, and duty. Gravitas is one of the several virtues that Ancient Roman society expected men to possess, along with pietas and dignitas.

Tasali 14-04-2006 00:11

11/10 for excellent trollbait.

Move this shit to the Manno forums, because this is Manno forum caliber, from the initial trollbait, to the flame war, to the continuous tidbits that keep spurring the flaming on.

Sheer hilarity, thanks.

If you're not trolling you're a fucking moron, because everything about this site throws Rome right in your face. Not just a fucking moron... an ignorant fucking moron.

But I'm pretty sure you're trolling, so gg thanks for making laggy BWL more enjoyable, and grats on managing to bait so many members of this fine guild into a frenzy. I'm especially fond of that feigned air of hurt that you've established in your latter posts, as if your question was in perfect innocence and you cannot begin to fathom why it was met with such rage. If you honestly think that asking someone "Hey are you a Nazi!!!" isn't offensive (and apologizing beforehand is bullshit, and doesn't at all lessen the insult), you are truly an ignorant person. I invite you to go over to Germany right now, and ask randomly on the streets, "Hey are you a a Nazi!!! I don't mean to insult you, but you are German, and Hitler based the Nazi movement in Germany, so umm... ARE YOU NAZIS??!!"

Taking bets from Legionnaires how long he would last.

Gravitas 14-04-2006 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bociwen
1) I'm not your pal.
2) I don't see enough big words, not quite impressed.
3) Why make a statement you know to be insulting, when a general question will reveal the information you seek, with zero risk of looking ignorant or offensive?

1) I know. I was being snide, buddy.
2) What do "big words" have to do with anything? Terribly sorry I've impressed you.
3) Because more than just a direct answer was being sought.

Horus 14-04-2006 00:13

nothing i should add here... im open for a discussion any time about this....

i like it to educate ppl about the history of the third reich, symbols of the SS and so on...

its kinda sad that i only hear accusations like that from ppl who live in countries that didnt suffer under the nazi regime

probably a lack of education.... ww2 doesnt have priority in their school system, its more important to know about the pilgrim fathers.....

Tjattras 14-04-2006 00:15

Gravitas, do you ever think "- I'm an idiot and I need to wake up" ?

It's one thing to ask an innocent question but there are limits to stupidity, or at least I thought so until I read this.

Gravitas 14-04-2006 00:15

Quote:

In an ancient Roman context, the word gravitas communicated a sense of dignity, seriousness, and duty. Gravitas is one of the several virtues that Ancient Roman society expected men to possess, along with pietas and dignitas.

Really? Wow. I sure picked a great name out of that hat!

Valhalla 14-04-2006 00:18

I saw this bald eagle when i was out fishing the other day.
I hid in the bush for 5 hours cause i wasnt sure there was germans around or not.

Biggdogg 14-04-2006 00:21

Blame Canada imo

Gravitas 14-04-2006 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjattras
Gravitas, do you ever think "- I'm an idiot and I need to wake up" ?

It's one thing to ask an innocent question but there are limits to stupidity, or at least I thought so until I read this.

I can't help but wonder if people realize the utter futility in expending their energy crying "you're stupid" on someone over and over again, and in various forms.

Learn2argue, plz. Ad hominems need not apply.

lokken 14-04-2006 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggdogg
Blame Canada imo

proof of a nazi dictator if it was ever needed.

lokken 14-04-2006 00:26

Quote:

I can't help but wonder if people realize the utter futility in expending their energy crying "you're stupid" on someone over and over again, and in various forms.

Learn2argue, plz. Ad hominems need not apply.

http://www.legionhq.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=74

we learnt from the best duder :(

Zjozz 14-04-2006 00:26

11/10 a+ would read again!

Valhalla 14-04-2006 00:30

How come threads like these doesnt come around on regular weekdays so i can read them at the office while having coffee?

Gravitas 14-04-2006 00:31

Quote:

You mean the zillion posts above that crying for my blood?

Agamemnon 14-04-2006 00:52

This part of Tiddys post was pretty to the point, too bad you didn't bother responding to it outside of the ad hominem, but I guess the rule of not using those only applies to others?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddy
Bro, did you even consider that maybe there are people in this community that hate what Nazi Germany stood for just as much as you do? Do you think Jewish people are the only ones that have a right to be 'overly' offended by such things?

The majority if this guild, and community is European. WW2 impacted their way of life a helluvalot more than it did Canada, or even the USA for that matter. The sad part isnt that you asked the question... well yes it is, but the saddest part is you are trying to defend your question as if it was the correct thing to do just because you are Jewish. You, sir, were not in the right... not even close.

There are people here that get more offended by this topic than you do, so just because you are Jewish doesnt give you the right to accuse them of being Nazis, which is basically wtf you did. You do realize this right? You not only indirectly accused the members of the WoW guild, but every single member of this gaming community of being a Nazi.

And yeah, for the record, people were killed by nazis where I live, and where I am now, on an easter holliday, they occupied a fairly huge arms factory. This fact doesn't make me jump at someones throat for being a nazi if he tilts his hand a bit too much when he waves at a friend he passes on the street.

Tobler 14-04-2006 01:10

Val maybe we can keep this going until u are back to work and u can read it then !

Uuisa 14-04-2006 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhalla
I saw this bald eagle when i was out fishing the other day.
I hid in the bush for 5 hours cause i wasnt sure there was germans around or not.

<3 Val!

Gravitas 14-04-2006 01:44

Quote:

This part of Tiddys post was pretty to the point, too bad you didn't bother responding to it outside of the ad hominem, but I guess the rule of not using those only applies to others?
As I already pointed out, I began indulging in them after many of you sufficiently introduced me. I'm not going to sit here defenseless while my personal character is being attacked.

I will address Tiddy's post, however, just to settle your burning inquiry of why it was conceived by a half-wit.

Quote:

Bro, did you even consider that maybe there are people in this community that hate what Nazi Germany stood for just as much as you do? Do you think Jewish people are the only ones that have a right to be 'overly' offended by such things?
I did consider it; hence the preemptive apology (preemptive should be a word you sagely Alabamans know well.)

And I knew that as soon as I mentioned my Jewish heritage, at least one person would start cramming words into my mouth. If you backtrack, my specific language nowhere states or implies exclusivity.

Quote:

The majority if this guild, and community is European. WW2 impacted their way of life a helluvalot more than it did Canada, or even the USA for that matter. The sad part isnt that you asked the question... well yes it is, but the saddest part is you are trying to defend your question as if it was the correct thing to do just because you are Jewish. You, sir, were not in the right... not even close.
Granted, WW2 impacted Europe more than the Americas. Granted, my grandfather is Polish and was interned in concentration camps in Germany and Poland, and loved his home country, and my father dutch, that Europe's plight was thus certainly not in any way related to me. Granted, I'm Jewish--but just because our creed was almost hunted to extinction cleary doesn't entitle us to become alarmed by any potential neo-fascism. Granted, none of us were even alive during Hitler's regime, so all your claims are of even less relevance than mine if your religion/ethnicity was not persecuted in that era.

I can grant you a lot of things: your foolishness, for example.

Quote:

There are people here that get more offended by this topic than you do, so just because you are Jewish doesnt give you the right to accuse them of being Nazis, which is basically wtf you did. You do realize this right? You not only indirectly accused the members of the WoW guild, but every single member of this gaming community of being a Nazi.
No, I accused no one. I questioned, from a suspicion. If I wanted to accuse VtS of harbouring nazis, I would have flat-out done so.

Back to Jackass B:

Quote:

And yeah, for the record, people were killed by nazis where I live, and where I am now, on an easter holliday, they occupied a fairly huge arms factory. This fact doesn't make me jump at someones throat for being a nazi if he tilts his hand a bit too much when he waves at a friend he passes on the street.
Good for you. If you're not black, or a Gypsy, or Jewish, or mentally handicapped, or a Saracen--basically any of the conditions/creeds/races persecuted in Hitler's Final Solution, you have no reason to be as jumpy as me. If you are one of those (e.g.: the second to last), and don't (or are unable to) care, that's your prerogative.

As to your deflated analogy: I'd like to meet someone who can haphazardly transform a wave into a heil.

Stijn 14-04-2006 01:56

ewww i'm out of popcorn

Horus 14-04-2006 01:57

Quote:

You mean the zillion posts above that crying for my blood?

Blut und Boden

BDB 14-04-2006 03:31

dear god

WOW Gravitas OR AS I WILL CALL U FROM NOW ON FUCKTARD
WHAT U NEED TO DO IS GO OUT SIDE AND DIG A HOLE PUT YOUR FUCKING HEAD IN THE HOLE FUCKTARD AND FIST YOUR SELF TILL U ONE OF 2 THINGS HAPPEN

u either die which hey thats fucking great for me

or understand that your makeing more of an ass out of your self by posting this shit then fisting your self

either way fuck off and die slow and plz plz plz dont have fucking kids u dumb twat cumlicking fucktard

l

Toxi 14-04-2006 03:48

l

o

l

Best reply ever.

Rewq 14-04-2006 03:50

Gravitas is my best friend, leave him alone please ! Fucking nazys

Whaam 14-04-2006 04:15

your mom is a nazi. a cock nazi

Venethor 14-04-2006 04:30

You know something is right with the guild when we get trolls on our personal forums!

Gravitas 14-04-2006 04:53

By the way, just to clarify: anyone's who's taken High School English knows there are two kinds of symbols: public and personal. So all those scenarios people put forth of having me freak out wherever I see an eagle do not apply. The American Eagle is a symbol whose meaning is known widely (although nowadays its nobler cast seems to be wearing off). When it comes to the symbols created by marginal people playing videos games centered on prejudice and warfare (some of which even allow the playing of Axis forces, a preference of this guild that someone alluded to earlier), one can never be too sure.

The sad aspect of this thread is that my question was answered clearly, calmly, and rationally, in the first response. Thank you Rids.

Kyrealean 14-04-2006 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress
what the fk you talking aboot u nazi... eh?

Canadians (except this retard) are extremely enlightened u twit! insulting my country makes u no different than this retard mr. ky so hush before i throw back bacon and toques at u :P

lol Empy, your the exception to the rule hon. Be glad you were not part of my old XWA squad. We made fun of Canadians forever :(

But it was all in fun, heh i run with some Vancouver CS players right now. Now if you take me seriously again when im feeding the troll, I will have to take drastic measures.

Bociwen 14-04-2006 05:24

Can we schedule another post of feigned ignorance for next tuesday during server down? Most of us are bored at that time, and we can surely hit 10 pages much faster then today.

Venethor 14-04-2006 05:39

Hmmm.. should I feed the troll in showing the flaw in his last arguement? I think I won't, because I can get more postcount from not answering right away...

+postcount. Gotta get my golden star, and keep Val busy at work reading the forums!

The real sad aspect is, even though you were interested in knowing what Legion's symbol and motto stands for (Which, for my case, I spent about 30 minute googleing to get my answer before I apped to VtS and got all the answers i needed back in the day), you went probably the worst possible way to get the answer, angering the whole community in the process.

Trelf 14-04-2006 06:01

Quote:

The sad aspect of this thread is that my question was answered clearly, calmly, and rationally, in the first response. Thank you Rids.

Rids is always calm and rational ;0

Sin 14-04-2006 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anunnak
This may seem harsh... but Jews werent the only ones to suffer during ww2...
Slavs lost oh what 25-30 million during that conflict? Do we fucking cry about it every chance we get? Do we need to remind others of what happend? NO we know what happened we accept it and move on.

Stop living in the past.

You know... I told Ramp I wanted to stay away from any drama related to WoW this time around. Unfortunately, this is something I can't pass up.

Some of you may ask why I am quoting this particular reply, well, the reason is simple. This whole thread, is a debate of symbolism, and what, The Legion, our guild, our online home, represents. We have someone making, what he claims to be an simple question, but also, in the same thread, fore-saw the fact that he would not be accepted into this guild.

How can you ask this sort of question already foreseeing the outcome? You say you simply must know. Honestly though, shouldn't you have done a bit more research. Even if it were only reading the few posts you had access to?

If you ask me, this post I have quoted, is by far, the most educated in the thread I've read. Yes, there have been numerous references to Ancient Rome, and Hilter's adaptation on similar foundations, but, this is what it boils down to.

No. I'm not Jewish. No, The Nazi Regime did not have any immediate effect on me personally, but it had an effect on my family. I am Canadian, as you can see in my avatar just left of my post. I also know it had an effect on Whaambulance's family, who lives one floor above me in my apartment building. In fact, I could almost say it had an effect on pretty much everyone living in my apartment building.

This whole thing, although it may have started as Nazi versus the Jewish People, involed, at the time, a large portion of the semi-large powers of the world. Hence, this war, was dubbed, World War II. This whole occurance didn't just effect two groups of people. This effected a majority of the worlds population. This effected EVERY SINGLE PERSON who fought in this war. This effect, was cause by numerous Countries fighting for the lives of other human beings, in this case, your Ancestors. Taking these factors into mind. You can rightingly assume that anyone knowing what happened in that time would absolutely dispise what the Nazi's stood for and believed in, in a group of people as large as ours.

I'm not saying that the original post was unjustified in his questioning, but, a little bit of common sense, a bit of thought, before a "knee-jerk" reaction, you would have realize that the question you were asking was completely out of place.

Although the people of this Online Gaming community can have our differences, and can show a bit of anominity towards each other from time to time, we are a guild that not only respect our members, but also everyone else that we encounter in our gaming endevours.

I know you said you did moderate research before posting. Moderate to me is a little bit, a little bit converts to a slight idea... And well, a slight idea, isn't something you want to make a post about when it comes to something of this significance.

Gravitas 14-04-2006 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venethor
Hmmm.. should I feed the troll in showing the flaw in his last arguement? I think I won't, because I can get more postcount from not answering right away...

I can guess your refutal:

"Well, we use the eagle under its public meaning too! It confers the might of Rome upon us!"

What do you describe a symbol with multiple public connotations adopted for private use as though? It's a still a matter of deciphering which public connotation is being adopted, and so in this sense it's still the context which lends the symbol it's meaning, prefabricated or not-- hence, my original inquiry. And hence, I still won't freak whenever I spot an eagle.

sLak 14-04-2006 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waywatcher
The Nazi party borrowed a lot of symbolism from ancient history. In fact, the swastika itself is derived from an ancient symbol for good luck (4 "L's" bound together to mean "Luck," "Life," "Love," and "Light."

I do not know if the 4 L thing is correct as its derived from a sanskrit word. It is an ancient vedic symbol used in Hindoism, Budhism and Jainism (dharma). It does however stand for or mean good luck, prosperity.

sLak 14-04-2006 06:50

Quote:

Granted, none of us were even alive during Hitler's regime, so all your claims are of even less relevance than mine if your religion/ethnicity was not persecuted in that era.

I think Rip was alive back then..