Legion Forums

Legion Forums (http://www.legionhq.org/index2.php)
-   The Colosseum (http://www.legionhq.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SWG cost (http://www.legionhq.org/showthread.php?t=1094)

Tomaj 21-12-2002 00:59

SWG cost

Does anyone anyone know the monthly/yearly cost to play SWG? This is assuming that they won't be as nice as blizzard and offer online play for free /me crosses his fingers.

(would there be a possibility for me to change my name to visage with this account??)

//v i s a g e

MonstaH 21-12-2002 11:36

i belive it depends on the bandwidth you use

frank 21-12-2002 17:38

spam?

]x[ 22-12-2002 06:39

I hope its not to expensive but this thread was already on the boards a few time, so plz read back into the other threads.

MonstaH 22-12-2002 13:31

Quote:

Originally posted by frank
spam?
mayb :D

muhahaha you target drone :)

Emohawk 22-12-2002 16:27

Quote:

Originally posted by MonstaH
i belive it depends on the bandwidth you use
So 56'kers like moi, should get it for free? ;)

In my dreams...

Emo

Accura 22-12-2002 16:41

i hope so.... :) even tho i dont think 56Kers can play it :(

razor 22-12-2002 16:42

Re: SWG cost

Quote:

Originally posted by Tomaj
Does anyone anyone know the monthly/yearly cost to play SWG? This is assuming that they won't be as nice as blizzard and offer online play for free /me crosses his fingers.

(would there be a possibility for me to change my name to visage with this account??)

//v i s a g e

if u bug tehar, i bet he can change yer username in the database ;)

Tomaj 23-12-2002 14:16

Re: Re: SWG cost

Quote:

Originally posted by razor
if u bug tehar, i bet he can change yer username in the database ;)
hehe na i dont wana shit any one off LOL althought its simpler than that hehe

Quote:

I hope its not to expensive but this thread was already on the boards a few time, so plz read back into the other threads
sorry about that ]x[ i didnt think that far at that time ;)

//v i s a g e ' <-- Tehar...please

devildawg 23-12-2002 14:34

doubt it will be that expensive considering you will only be able to have one character per account.

here is the article about that if yall havent already seen it.

MonstaH 23-12-2002 20:59

Quote:

Originally posted by Emohawk
So 56'kers like moi, should get it for free? ;)

In my dreams...

Emo

agreed :D

steam 27-12-2002 06:49

the price will be somewhere between 10 and 15 $ / month or at least thats the common price region for mmorpgs these days it will be most definitly not cheaper than that , but there is still the possibility that it will be more expensive than that. :)

And it wont be charged by bandwith usage .. thats bullshit ..
its a per month fix price, nm whether you play 24/7 or 7/24 :)

Accura 27-12-2002 13:24

Quote:

Originally posted by steam
the price will be somewhere between 10 and 15 $ / month or at least thats the common price region for mmorpgs these days it will be most definitly not cheaper than that , but there is still the possibility that it will be more expensive than that. :)

And it wont be charged by bandwith usage .. thats bullshit ..
its a per month fix price, nm whether you play 24/7 or 7/24 :)

thats expensive because we have to pay about $35 for the game and then about $10 a month
why doesnt my UK pound sign work?

steam 27-12-2002 16:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Accura
thats expensive because we have to pay about $35 for the game and then about $10 a month
why doesnt my UK pound sign work?

when you buy the game you have the first month of playtime inclusive ( maybe even 2 months who knows)
so it kinda relevates the cost of the game itself.
And yes mmorpgs are more expansive then the usual game :)

Emohawk 27-12-2002 18:20

This sounds like I won't be able to afford to play ;( ;( ;(

Emo

Accura 27-12-2002 20:51

:no: that sucks m8 ;(

Riflez 28-12-2002 15:04

Yea most games are about £30 to buy then £10-15 a month after that. most come with a minimum of 30 days free paly o get you into the game.

Origionally i was against the idea of paying for the game after you bought it but since i quit smoking and save £70 a month it isnt a problem anymore :D

patsz 29-12-2002 01:13

as long as its around $10 i dont have any probs with it

real reason for posting: ure sig r0x visage!! :D

Zak 29-12-2002 17:41

If you think paying per month is unfair or expensive - try hosting 10-20 servers with 6 planets on each - each planet bigger than the entire world of Everquest for a total of *shrugs* 500k people or so - all by yourself :yes: :yes:

Go try and book that on barrysworld for the next 3 years and see what they say ;)

Precursors 29-12-2002 19:01

I agree Zak,
If a game like planetarion can switch to P2P, this game deserves even more.
Though a monthly charge of more than 10$ would be a bit too much.
15$ a month would make 180$ a year, which is much more than what you'd pay for domain name+web space for a site.

Def2K 29-12-2002 19:07

Its all about bandwith here.

Altho I agree that more then $10 a month would be to much in my opinion...

Precursors 29-12-2002 23:50

wow, i just noticed the effect on Patsz's banner :D
we miss that when his post's somewhere in middle of page tho :D

frank 03-01-2003 21:25

more spam?

Sata 12-01-2003 21:21

MMORPG Newbie

How high have prices been in the past to play MMORPGs?

And does the bandwidth (broadband in my case:D) of your computer really determin how much i pay (if anything)?

And why does that guy going on about spamming, this seems a perfectly valid thread:rolleyes:!

razor 13-01-2003 09:21

You can see the price on amazon where u can pre order the game
Monthly cost i still dont know yet

Link 15-01-2003 20:56

Quote:

Originally posted by razor
You can see the price on amazon where u can pre order the game
Monthly cost i still dont know yet

what is it with ordering the game. explain please

Sata 15-01-2003 21:42

I explain it nice and slow.

You can order (or pre-order in this case) games off the internet.

If you live i the if you live in America you can order it from www.Amazon.com, if you live in the UK you can order it from www.Amazon.co.uk by going on the Starwars galaxies site, setting up an account and pre-ordering the game.:rolleyes:

So as soon as the game comes out (in your area) you get it almost straight away since it has first class posting.

Hope I've helped (and not been too patronising).

[M7] 15-01-2003 21:53

Guys, i'd be a bit careful with the preorder.....

The dev's dropped some hints that they are (still) negotiating with an external contractor to run the European servers....

chances are they do the same shit Mythic did with Daoc... namely to sell the rights to a company that would release its own, translated and modified version of the game...

Problem is, if they do this, the euro and US versions could be incompatible e.g. you cant use the euro servers with the US version and vice versa...

Since all of this isn't really clear at the mo I'd hold off from preordering at the moment... just not to take the risk to get an US version which i couldn't use on the euro server forcing me to buy the game a second time 2-3 months later.

:-|

Sata 15-01-2003 22:00

Wooops, I new to this whole MMORPG thing.
I wish Lucasarts would teel us this kind of thing, I noticed there were like at least 5 poll on the site on pre-ordering the game, they must be wondering if people will get upset if certain editions of the game will be incompatible with their server.
That would really strike the last cord!;(

[M7] 15-01-2003 22:05

I absolutely hope they are smart enough to NOT split the playerbase like this... but it could still happen.

We've got 3 months left to find out ;)

Precursors 15-01-2003 22:29

US is scared of Europe players (total ultimate ownage) :D

razor 16-01-2003 07:17

Quote:

Originally posted by Precursors
US is scared of Europe players (total ultimate ownage) :D
i have to agree with this 8)

Def2K 16-01-2003 07:24

I can't really see a good reason to split the player bases, actually. They might set up different servers but I guess everyone will still be able to join any server he likes...

Lantador 17-01-2003 12:00

They just did that exact crap like in DAoC with AC2 (Asherons Call 2), releasing it in certain countries around x-mas, then waiting with other countries till months later.

Even worse, you couldnt pay for your account unless your credit card was from these specific countries, thus utterly screwing all the people that had pre-ordered...

Sometimes gaming companies just forget that the internet makes people talk together across the world - Of course when a new online game is released, everyone wants to start and play from day 1, as to not get behind.

If they pull a stunt like this with SWG, fuck them. :mad:

Radium 17-01-2003 18:03

Quote:

Originally posted by Lantador
They just did that exact crap like in DAoC .......
You could always pay and play the US version of Daoc if you came from europe.

I have no idea about AC 2 tho.

[M7] 17-01-2003 21:30

Quote:

Originally posted by Radium
You could always pay and play the US version of Daoc if you came from Europe.
Yes, but that would require you to buy both the European and the (imported=extra expensive) US Gamebox and pay two monthly fees.. not mentioning the disk space you would need to install both versions in parallel.... and maybe some nice registry conflicts, since both games could use the same regkeys etc etc...

Def2k': the reason they do this is.. money (what else).. if they outsource the European server, the euro hoster wants to make money through box sales and wants to get fees of everyone using the server (whereas they wouldn't get fees from connecting US player), so they would have interest in making them incompatible.... OFC they would say the software is absolutely incompatible since they had to translate stuff for the German/French/whatever release.........

OK OK.. I'm pessimistic again, but i have a personal grudge with GOA (hoster of the the German/French/English DaoC servers)... the Spanish hoster never had any problems like they did....

Radium 17-01-2003 22:59

Quote:

Originally posted by [M7]
Yes, but that would require you to buy both the European and the (imported=extra expensive) US Gamebox and pay two monthly fees.. not mentioning the disk space you would need to install both versions in parallel.... and maybe some nice registry conflicts, since both games could use the same regkeys etc etc...

If you play the US servers there is no need to play or buy the Euro version tho since both are entirely seperate entities.

I think for a game like Daoc it was easier for Mythic to get a 3rd parties to distribute and run the international side, because to be fair they didn't have the infrastructure or the capital to host a game in Europe a the time. However, come their next game "Imperiator" you'll bet it will be them running the whole show.