View Single Post

Old 01-07-2005, 14:10   #36
Sandsnake
Legionnaire

They're finally releasing the Erikson books in the US, so I started reading them. They're only to book 2 here though with 3 set for release in november, so I think they're carrying the others on Amazon now. Annoying as hell as the reason for delay is that they're americanizing the language. "Oh noes! They have extra U's in the originals!!!!" 8-O

Anyway, Robin Hobb, Steven Erikson, and George RR Martin are must reads. Jordan and Goodkind can be safely given a miss as they are both having a hard time keeping their storylines remotely interesting (or believable, for that matter). Anything Dragonlance or D&D are great...if you're 12. (Sorry, fans! Weiss/Hickman and even Salvatore are pretty shallow and unimpressive authors.)

Others that I like are Gene Wolfe, though he has a very literary style of writing that doesn't sit well with many fantasy readers, and a guy by the name of Matthew Woodring Stover. "Heroes Die" and "Blade of Tyshall" were wonderfully dark and extremely violent stories where the main character is more bad guy than good guy.