Thread: WoW, AO or SWG
View Single Post

Old 14-03-2006, 17:43   #30
Kyrealean
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddix
As I said, while Kyreal was busy going on about its negatives (he is one of the veterans that didn't give it a chance for an extended period of time, altho in his case they did remove his favourite profession in CH, so don't really blame him), I do feel there are positives in there as well.

There was a time when I loved SwG more than CS, more than PA, more than just about any other game that I have ever played. Then I watched as people got bored and quit, people got tired of the game changing and quit, then people hung around hoping for a CU in the hopes that PvP could be saved etc. Then when CU did arrive, it was completely not what the veterans were expecting to happen so a pretty large exodus of players left. I included as they killed medical crafting at that time (I was playing with Egor over on Starsider at the time of CU as a change of pace due to most all of my friends in SwG Legion had already quit the game and Egor asked me to come play with him some)

If anyone remembers Egor, he was an old Legion member from the Rd3 days but was playing with his old XWA (X-wing Alliance) squad on Starsider. So when I made my guy over there, I wanted to try out Swords/Doc much like Aga was for Legion on Eclipse. I fell in love with crafting again and was playing SwG fairly regularly up until CU.

On Eclipse. I started out as a crafter and became the guild architect and powerup maker then switched to combat after I got burnt out on the harvesting grind of resources (and took a couple months off from the game at a bad time, player cities came out in the middle of it and Biggdogg had to take over the architecting for me, sorry Eric)and not knowing how combat was. I ended up being a rifle/ch which to me was a sweet combo for a solo guy to play. I liked being able to run missions alone without the aid of doc buffs which were very overpowered at the time.

I quit SwG for 4-5 months after CU hit because CU gutted my playstyle of medical crafting, however I did come back to try it again that August. I played it for about a month and saw that the game would never be something I could enjoy anymore. I had respeced from Doc/Swords to BH/CH because after CU, the only good loot obtained that was soloable was BH missions. It was really the most bored I have ever been in SwG, so I recancelled but kept my eye on the forums and such. When Nov came and I saw the complete overhaul that SwG had gotten, I knew I would never ever go back to this farce of a game. CH was a favorite profession of mine, but that is now gone. Crafting was another side that I loved but that is now a shadow of its former glory.

So no I do not have much positive to say about a game that started out with HUGE potential and a game that I spent countless, countless hours on, only to see it cave in to the pressure of WoW and the suits that run it. I can understand why they did what they did. WoW was killing their cash flow, so in the end they decided to adopt many of WoW's crowd attracting features, but for vets like me, the trade off was killing playstyles to conform everyone to play a limited style imho.

To everyone that wants to try SwG, please go do so. Make up your own mind about the game as it is now. I am just a vet that saw the best side of SwG, to me anyhow, till the devs killed how I played it. If Legion members are still enjoying it, then I am happy for them. I don't post on the SwG boards anymore because I don't need to bring my old bitterness in there and possibly detract from activity levels dropping of the current actives.

From the Ashes of Good Intentions, come forth Lasting Friendships..... the Ęternals