Go Back   Legion Forums > Public Communications > The Colosseum

The Colosseum Public forum for some friendly chitchat

Old 01-07-2005, 00:58   #1
Rids
I'm boring

Must admit, that WoT is seriously starting to cunt me off.

I've read them in sequence over the past 4 months and am now up to Book 9. At first I liked them and I was reading them in a few days, then they stretched out to a week each. I think Book 9 is going to take me a fucking month.

More like Waste of Time, seriously, hes dragging things on too much, and things that should be big events do not get the mention they deserve. The story is far too complex and it seems just about every character apart from a select few are the bad guys.

Quote:
Claire says:
altho if you want an easy lay, youv come to the right place

Old 01-07-2005, 01:49   #2
tpb

I must agree with you all that the latest WoT books has been bad.
When I read the first chapters of book 10 I knew what would happen inn the last chapter and thats real anoying when you got ~500 pages to go thru to get there. :-/
The "interlude" book New Spring I enjoyed thou.
I hope its true WoT is going to be no more then a 12 book series. Means Jordan have to make book 11 good and that there's light inn the end of the tunnel ;-)

If I were to recomend some books it would be:
-Glen Cook's Black Company series.
Its 10 books which got an ending (So you dont have to wory about the author dying on you without finnishing the plot :)
-Robyn Hoob's 9 books also are good althou I only read book 1-3 and 7-9.
Book 4-6 afterall is another story even thou related.
-Goerge R.R. Martins tale ofcourse must be included and thats suposed to be a 6 books series so hopefully inn the not so distant future we will see the end
And the greatest of them all atm:
-Steven Erikson's A tale of the Malazan Book of the fallen series.
Its not finnished yet but the 5 books written so far are great, and book 3 Memories of Ice is the best Fantasy book I ever read!!

I also got a soft spot for the Dragon Lance series by Weis and Hickman and the books written by Raymond E. Feist
Both the series are about ~10 books loong and got an end ;-)

ps. if any of you out there havent read The Hobbit and LOTR yet youre not ready to enter the world of fantasy so go and read those first ;-)

Old 01-07-2005, 14:10   #3
Sandsnake
Legionnaire

They're finally releasing the Erikson books in the US, so I started reading them. They're only to book 2 here though with 3 set for release in november, so I think they're carrying the others on Amazon now. Annoying as hell as the reason for delay is that they're americanizing the language. "Oh noes! They have extra U's in the originals!!!!" 8-O

Anyway, Robin Hobb, Steven Erikson, and George RR Martin are must reads. Jordan and Goodkind can be safely given a miss as they are both having a hard time keeping their storylines remotely interesting (or believable, for that matter). Anything Dragonlance or D&D are great...if you're 12. (Sorry, fans! Weiss/Hickman and even Salvatore are pretty shallow and unimpressive authors.)

Others that I like are Gene Wolfe, though he has a very literary style of writing that doesn't sit well with many fantasy readers, and a guy by the name of Matthew Woodring Stover. "Heroes Die" and "Blade of Tyshall" were wonderfully dark and extremely violent stories where the main character is more bad guy than good guy.

Old 02-07-2005, 20:01   #4
dr.doug
Legionnaire

Someone recommended Goodkind to me but i have never had chance as of yet to read any of his books.Is there more than one series or is it just a lot of books on the same series ?

Old 02-07-2005, 20:02   #5
dr.doug
Legionnaire

Ahh so much better now Grendel kindly sorted my password out heh.Just need to find my old siggy now :(

Old 03-07-2005, 01:46   #6
Axis_WLF

Butlerian jihad, machine crusade and battle for corrin of the dune series for the WIN! Also read the houses series House atriedes, harrkonen and corrino!

Old 03-07-2005, 02:55   #7
Rateal
WoW Legionaire

Goodkind only has 1 series that I know of. Sword of Truth series, more long winded then WOT but good to pass the time, the first 5 books are nice.