Go Back   Legion Forums > Public Communications > Planetarion chitchat

Planetarion chitchat Old times, and new ones

Sigs plays Pa. A little diary.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52   #1
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Sigs plays Pa. A little diary.

Part 1.

It must have been faith or so, on a boring evening i ended up talking to Alf on Facebook after not speaking to him for years maybe and we were both wondering if IRC still excists. And if so, is there still PA? Or #legion? So that evening we stepped into the jungle of chitchat only to find out it indeed does. Entering the legionchannel was a step back in time and there we see this topic:

*** sigrid joined #legion
Welcome to Legion home of the old VtS || If you recieved an email from Willzzz please drop me a pm (Assman)
Topic set by Assassin on Mon Sep 29 2014 00:18:30 GMT+0200 (CEST)

Obviously, spammer and utterly curious as i am, I spam the guy with the scary nick:P Turns out on excatly THAT evening sign up began for round 59 (!) of PA. How is that for 'ment to be'?
Whatever happened after that is a bit of a black spot in my memory but before i realised it i had a planet. Now thats shock 1.
You have a planet but NO clue anymore. Some things seem to ring a bell but wow...so many buttons to click! So in preferences i looked for 'change skin' and took the oldest there was (round 23). Not even close to the ones i remember but at least it started to look vaguely familiair. I randomly started constructions I never heard of, did some research for things i never heard of, and build a light factory just in case ... and spend all the money i had before looking at the manual. When i finally did I ran into a nice quickstart page wich told me I did everything wrong and also how to do it correctly.
THANK GOD and HALLELUJA...there is a reset button!! So i started up my tiny little planet the right way. and I then joined Assassins alliance P3nguins.
Yeah I know...after Fury and Legion t doesnot sound all that scary...but they did win last round:P More about that later.

Let the game begin!!!
Tick 1!!
And this is where the changes come in Ladies and Gents. This PA is NOT our PA anymore. Its a LOT better. Obviously they realised that the old PA players now have families and an actuall life..... And thus they created a game where one still can play PA without looking like a zombie half way the round.

The first change is the start bonus. You make a planet, you get a bonus. simple. It brings you halfway all those long long researches and constructions and gives you enough resources to build a proper raiding fleet. I will discuss that fleet later...trust me, i have AMAZING news for you.

So basically, im set up. Time to spam my 20 player gal...only to find out it all gets shuffled into 10 payer gals. The set up is simple. you can sign up in a buddypack of 3 or 4. After tick somewhere-in300 the 4 man pack gets a 5th late starter, the 3 man BP 2 late starters. This can be an advantage later as you can end up with 12 instead of 11 in gal...but i may be doing a too-much-info thing now.

Anyways, after the shuffle..you land. I play random, so i land random. So shuffle has been done, you log in and look into your world for the next 1100 ticks...Hello PA!

to be continued

quote of the day:
07:31 montie I swear legion is raiding my gal lol...
07:38 montie you know things are up when grendel is incoming in your galaxy status
07:48 sigrid oh
07:49 sigrid thats me...

Last edited by sigrid; 13-11-2014 at 00:30.

Old 03-11-2014, 16:52   #2
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Meeting the rest

Now obviously there is no PA without social shit. So i was very curious wich galaxy i would land. Signing up random means you know basically you have a group of friends in your galaxy who are also in one of the alliances ruling the rond. So you can spam and troll a bit but they run the galaxy in the end. If you dont like it, exile. Or sit back, get popcorn and stay. I choose to stay in mine altho my fingers did hoover over the exil button a few times. Also i am convinced some of my galmates have me on ignore by now and I probabely am not making friends for life. But that may be my fault`;0

Anyways, the galaxy. Paranoid as we were way back then, i didnot know if i should fake nick or anything. The alliance told me to chill a bit, this is PA 2014, its all different. I decide to just stay out of the galchannel untill my mind hs adjusted to PA again. But within a day i got several mails from my GC questioning my activity, ordering me what to build, and the rules of defending in gal.
Oh god spam. Bossy spam. From little boys! As if im gonna listen. Say right and I go left:P Its my planet and nobody tells me what to build. If anything I would build for alliance.
After some nasty mails from both sides i decided to join the iRC and ran into another galmember from yet another alliance (not the bp) who convinced me to stay as he said there were good players in the gal. So i stayed. (/me waves at Deras). Turns out youngest galmember is around 27?. Clearly this is not the snotty-teenager game like it used to be anymore. Did I make the right descision to stay ? No clue. I will let you know when the round is finished.
I am quite sure they find me somewhat annoying. I talk to much. Playing 2014 means whatsapp groups and TG on the phone. I guess you get the idea…they are irresistable to me.

I was surprised how open my galaxymembers talked about things…..wich alliances we have, can we keep our alliances away from the rest of the galaxy, how are politics and what is our stategy. Not too much joking going on and i go with the flow. Building my bossy GC his fking pirates and all. Taking a non-allied galaxymember in my alliance as we have 2 members and stand strong. I was surprised about the open way of playing. Within days the whole universe is mapped.

In my memory playing PA means hours and hours of bullshit on IRC, saying many things you later regret and find back in quotebots. Well, not much changed there if you like that. But you don’t have to. Some players don’t go IRC at all. Rounds can be played on mobile phones i guess.
Altho the good old IRC is still filled and fun and some tools are not available in the game.

Ok, IRC set up, Planet set up. I met the f*ckers…. Ready to attack……right?

to be continued

quote of the day:
[15:07:52] <dybi> well, I need to be 100% certain before giving the wondering child of my galaxy an answer

Last edited by sigrid; 13-11-2014 at 00:30.

Old 05-11-2014, 19:30   #3
androme

Good diary. Lol. PA is good these days...just way too easy and it's all about politics. Not much effort needed anymore tbh.
PA - R3 - Legion - #32/100k+ players

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03   #4
Xenius
#2 fluffer (after Montie)

more please :)

Hearts of Iron 4 Anticipation level:

Legion IRC

Old 06-11-2014, 14:17   #5
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Oh the changes!

This is probabely not the most exciting post to read. But its definately worth having a look at some major differences beween stone-age-PA and PA-2014.

Before „take off’ a lot has to be done. Obviously you need roids.
Now there is NO need for scanning for roids anymore…you just initiate as many as you want. (first big change!!). Make sure you have a good look at the race you picked and what you need most before initiating too many of the wrong resource! (COUGH)
Then you start building a fleet. (I am Zik) I was building myself some co class and then I wondered……where on earth did the Astropods go??.
Well, they are no longer. You now have ships in certain classes (corvette or frigate or like me even BS) that target roids instead of other ships. I am playing a single target round. Wich means every ship only targets one other class. Like with everything in this game there are players who love it and players who hate it and want MT rounds. When it comes to complaining about stats and things, notting really changed!!

Before launching my first attack I ran into so many things that have improved the game. Its playable for everybody. You can sleep and have a life and still have fun. First of all, you can queue your research and constructions. So no getting up at 3 am to start Hypergate . It will all be done for you.

Also you can pre-launch. The attacks are not arranged by launchtimes anymore but by LANDINGtime. (its still LT…meaning LandingTick) You land in a certain tick (they are numbered) and you calculate wich tick you should launch. If I launch at 3 am and want to sleep at 11 pm, I prelaunch 8(eta)+4. Landing tick in 8 hours (traveltime) and 4 extra pre-launch. And then I go sleep.

Yes. Sleep.

On the other hand the disadvantage is that one can see a prelaunch on a JGP scan. But that also means you can Prelaunch def. It doesn’t work as simple as it sounds but it is a fun tactics.

Also you can fake-attack and fake-defend (fleet will pull just before landing) and……you can HIDE your ships at base. So if they hit you before you wake up…fleet is safe. (you dont have to btw, you can also let your basefleet fight) Hide or fight…they still do take your roids…unfortunately:).

Now the best news (oh Radium if you only had this in round 3..) Ships do NOT need E to launch!!!!. After I miscalced the LT of my first attack a few times because i couldn’t figure out the pre-launch immediately I was worried about not being able to send fleet anymore due to lack of E. Hence I was looking how much it would cost…….and I was like…

WHAT???
IT COSTS NO E?
NO E TO LAUNCH????

Nope. Solarpanels apperantly. You just fly off into space as many times as you like….no worries….

Probabely the biggest change, and the best one also, is the Alliance page ingame. You name it and its there. You see all incoming in alliance, with scans added, def added, Battlecalcs added. You are able to see all you allies and their fleets, you can see WHAT they have home and IF they have a free slot. Its all there.
Also the scanning is done in-game. You can search for scans done by your alliance so no need to do the same scan twice. You can request scans ingame also. If you look at the universe you will see in every galaxy wich planets are in your alliance, but also you can see wich planets your alliance is napped to or hostile. A small green or red line appears around the planets. Those things are all ingame options for alliances. I am still browsing and finding new stuff, and a bit unsure still how to use it all but it makes a huge difference, all this information stored. No need for arbiter.

I am sure this post will be edited a few times because i forgot to mention another handy feature. I have not told you about the covert operations you can do (blow up shit, steal ships etc, wich doesnot work in gal, trust me i have tried….sigh)) and the use of different gouvernments with different benefits or the way you can set your population to work harder in certain fields so you can speed up the production of your ships . Its all not too difficult but very new to me. So keep an eye out for more details, whilst i start writing about the art-of-attacking.

to be continued!

todays quote:

15:37 Seraphim` I'm actually in anarchy
15:37 ReaperSix your always in anarchy it just happens your planet currently matches your life

Last edited by sigrid; 07-11-2014 at 19:01.

Old 08-11-2014, 18:08   #6
ramp
HC

I stole my first roids, and killed boats.
I must admit that was fun again, amazed at the amount of alliance integration in the game now though. Might be also the reason why there are more top contenders.

a stroll along Memory Lane
Old 09-11-2014, 16:14   #7
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

a stroll along Memory Lane

Like almost all old Legion Members I have a LOT of memories in PA. Underneath the pages full of numbers-in-database lies a big social network, both addicting and devastating. Without going into details I can honestly say my life would not be the same if had not once played PA and joined Legion.

Coming back to the game I left to play with Legion elsewhere was a weird experience. First of all getting back on IRC was a mission, since I am on a Mac. We found #legion and woke up Assassin. Joining his alliance I bumped into quite a few players who seem to have been there all these rounds and joining an alliance channel almost felt like coming home after all these years. Before i knew it I was calling ppl nerds and fluffled [fury]Kafka. As if I had never left.

As you start the round slow and in protection, there is a lot of chitchat and little action. Plenty of time to talk with players who have been around a while, and whilst doing so, the memories come back and the stories get better and better. Carpeia joined in, eventually even Rampage gets a planet, I see masterjw, Vegeta, Sebace in my alliance and in the legion channel all of a sudden also old legionnaires who play in other alliances idle along or spam. Stojke, Fiery, Sad, Ska8z, Montie, ]x[ and some more showed up, even tho some play for 'the enemy'.

So we slap each other around, spam and try to get each others roids. Its actually a lot of fun. Rampage digs up his stone-age files and what a treasure-chest that is. Banners, overviews, battle-reports and hilarious irc-logs. Every file I opened made me grin or smile , apart from the dancing Rumad in thong, that actually just still scared me:P alf provided the battlereports of the Battles at Jeh and Isch, Kafka somewhere found the old Fury rules round 3.
On my computer I found an old folder with PA related items and pictures. I once actually photoshopped a legion-tattoo on my arm! Oh the young and vain:) If only we could go there again.
I think a small group of old-school players drove the rest crazy that first week with stories from way-back-when. We remembered rounds where there would be 1 tick in 4 hours, and then 4 ticks in one hour. With legionplayers complaining and a 24 hr rollback as a result. We remembered all those names, looking at the rankings of old rounds. Singularity, Kejome, Game, Nodrog, Videer...they have all been discussed. Closing down Killmark for multying (?) was a thing many remembered vividly.. Also some current players were once fighting 'us' in the old days days and do not seem to share the same beautifull glorious memories. Unbelievable!
I hope the p3nguins didn't think we felt it was all better then. It’s better now, game wise, but talking about the old rounds makes you melancholic and I believe memories get sweeter over time. Which reminds me I would like to apologize to at least half of legion for being such a terrible bitch at times. And to forgive me for the sorrow I caused some of you. Think back with a smile. I do aswell.

Talking about flashbacks...
A few days in the game, i’m idling in my gal-channel and Forest pops in. Now I was basically Idling in that channel to recover from the shock to find out Assassin is in fact Willzzz and has been fooling everybody for a long long time. But thats another story for next episode.
So when a person called forest starts to talk to me it made me laugh. Yet another multiple personality of Willzzz? Then he starts talking in PM stating:.. ITS REALLY ME…. Yeah sure forest , hahaha. So i ask him a few questions and he gives me information really only [RB]forest would know. And he could describe into detail every embarrassing picture ever taken of him at several meets. Wich all involved alcohol and penisses if i recall correctly. I had no choice but to believe him. However, before i could say, Hi forest long time, how are you... he starts lecturing me about how I am yet again in the wrong alliance with legion ppl who always want to destroy the enemy from the start and how utterly unfair the game is when we do that and make a block against his alliance, and how we should all feel sorry for him etc. etc. Now THATS when i knew it was really him. Some things just never change!

Basically these last two weeks have been a walk back in time. I feared it a bit, not knowing what to expect of this game that meant so much to me once. But what a nice walk it has been so far. Apart from Idler trying to roid me several times (without success I’d like to add, one crashed attack fleet and 0 roids muhahahaha) I must say all the encounters with the past turned out to be nice, friendly and respectful. We all grew up to be somewhat behaving adults, and it seems many of us have kids walking around or a job consuming most of our time.

I am gonna wander off a bit more into the game and mingle among the nerds and geeks. Hell, I may even make new friends. Im planning to end top 10 this round. Top 10 of having most fun that is.

/me fluffles the universe

todays quote:
18:53 sigrid join #legion
18:54 sigrid fs
19:01 sigrid that was not an invitation
19:01 sigrid i forgot to do the /
19:01 sigrid gide

to be continued

Last edited by sigrid; 13-11-2014 at 00:32.

Old 09-11-2014, 17:19   #8
__Thor__
Shoot me

does that mean willzzz has been multiing all these years?

Old 11-11-2014, 20:28   #9
Willzzz
Idle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Thor__ View Post
does that mean willzzz has been multiing all these years?
Not all these years no.

Old 12-11-2014, 17:57   #10
Athena

Heya all you oldtimers!

Nice to see yah all!
Do i really dare to get into this game again.......hrm late nights.....irc damn its a long time
:D

A beautiful day in a Galaxy far far Away.
Old 12-11-2014, 20:15   #11
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

A beautiful day in a Galaxy far far Away.

Something tragic happened this morning.
I live in a very small village
Received a TG request from my alliance
I left my almost full shopping cart in the middle of the local supermarket
oh...staff gazing at me in awe
I ran out the door at 10.54
to have decent 3G outside
to launch an attack fleet before the tick.
In the middle of the street.
People looked at me.
When asked I told them “I am having an affair”
I think that sounded much more plausible
then “sending co-class spaceships to a galaxy far far away”.

Talking about my galaxy, you deserve an update. After quite a weird start with some minor clashes with my GC (dybi) we sort of settled. A BP with 4 BlackFlags , Dybi, gallzilla, Garm and Greytonic. Deras from the Rainbows, Gide (the drunk fin) from CT, me said the fool and an unallied guy. And at some point an exile came in, called Due from HueHue :P After tick 300-something the 5th BP member came in with an unpronounceable nick. Wich doesn't matter, he never speaks. Apparently he just erm...does stuff. Oh and since this morning there is a Newdawn exile present.
So thats my Galaxy, thats my Whatsapp-group for now.

In the beginning Dybi bossed everybody around. But he learned from previous clashes, he really did his best to ask nicely instead of telling me. Then usually after explaining the whole tactics behind me only building pirates and cutlass Deras would come and tell another long and slightly different story. It felt a bit like two captains on a ship. Altho Deras did end every conversation saying…”but you better ask Dybi, he is the boss”.

So i followed up the orders and build a BS fleet to defend in gal, and an insane amount of cutlass. This did weaken my FR attack fleet as its value is lower than my Cathaar team up so I get less roids attacking. (dilemma) At some point somebody in my Alliance tells me to build Cutters. Now I didn't have any so while discussing our fleets I said to my galaxy...I’ve been told to build 25k cutters. Everybody laughed, told me that was the most stupid thing they ever heard and surely my alliance was made out of idiots. Within a day BF HC told he heard from BF galaxy we are building anti DE fleets and was wondering why. Wich made Munkee angry and resulted in a rather unfriendly mail to alliance to shut the fuck up.

HELLO PA!
HELLO “do-not-trust-anyone”!

As if i am responsible for conclusions drawn by other Alliances HC just because I build cutters……..now who is the idiot in this story…(waves @ Clouds)

This fleet story is a good example however of how i feel this constant dilemma of dividing loyalty between alliance and galaxy. Obviously I joined them both this round only. So i have played equally long with them. I realise the galaxy is very important. I need their defence, and they need mine. If I defend in galaxy instead of in alliance, then they defend me wich saves the alliance sending me defence…..thats how it works. But my galaxy won't exist anymore after december 5th. They will forget about me on december 6th and probably roid me without feeling sorry next round. But I will still be in my alliance. Its a major difference from most rounds I played before. This balancing within a galaxy to stay away from each others alliances, be sort of enemies but still friends… In quite early rounds already one could choose a galaxy. And if somebody in your galaxy did not do exactly what you wanted they simply got roided a few days untill they did. Oh old school again:P

Anyways. My galaxy. Sunday Morning 6 am. I wake up and can't sleep anymore, I check my phone and see whatsapp filled with messages. Inferno hitting our galaxy, most of us have 2-3 waves on them. I get myself a coffee. Since sign up i am drinking my coffee from the official Planetarion coffee mug (“talk fast, my galaxy needs me”). I sit down and hell breaks loose. We try to get alliance defence and make fleets to do some sort of magical crossdef within the galaxy and it all made sense. Simply perfect fleets to cover each other, i must have send at least 5 times to different galmates, at some point pulled and resent a minute before the tick. Almost everybody online and my GC trying to sort it all. Around midday we realised we had everything covered and half of the fleets already pulled. Somewhere in the afternoon the last red fleet disappeared from the galaxy overview. 0 roids lost. If we would have all been in the same room I am sure we would have high5-ed each other. It was a remarkable morning and I suddenly realised again how great this game can be, this mix of a simple browsergame with such a great social network around it.

After the adrenaline slipped away we refreshed the galaxyscreen and saw 2 more incoming popping up. That turned out to be a retal on HueHue-Due from BF for 3 fleeting them while we were trying to hold on to our roids. We didn't defend it and therefore still lost some that day.

I have to compliment the guys I play with. Not only do they bear with me for a few weeks already, but they help me getting the grip on this game again as well. And my GC….he was right. He said, stick around, it will be worth it, and it is. He told me to build my fleet the way it is, fitting in the galaxy machine. Im actually proud of him. Especially because the next day our huehuedue 3-fleeter was on the targetlist of BF again and he claimed all 3 waves on his galaxymember. He must have some credit in his alliance i guess. And yes, my alliance is what I play for. Things will change during this round and next round we are no longer "your" galaxy Dybs. But so far...well done.

/me applaudes Dybi.
Don’t roid me next round fs!

Quote of the day:
00:06 Carpeia oi fuck
00:06 Carpeia i forgot i sent a fleet on montie for a joke before i left work
00:07 Carpeia hahaha
00:07 sigrid lol
00:07 sigrid did you land?
00:07 Carpeia yeah
00:07 sigrid awwww
00:07 sigrid oh come on
00:07 Carpeia totally forgot i launched it

Last edited by sigrid; 13-11-2014 at 00:10.

Old 12-11-2014, 20:59   #12
ramp
HC

Nice posts :)

I'm keeping a low profile, carefully stealing some roids while doing so :P

Old 12-11-2014, 22:17   #13
__Thor__
Shoot me

alliance < all.
you need to plan an epic backstab of the gal a week before finish

Old 12-11-2014, 23:07   #14
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Thor__ View Post
alliance < all.
you need to plan an epic backstab of the gal a week before finish
they are reading this also. We have to make a cunning plan

Old 13-11-2014, 00:34   #15
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Heya all you oldtimers!

Nice to see yah all!
Do i really dare to get into this game again.......hrm late nights.....irc damn its a long time
:D
Athena! Give it a try. Its really nice. And no late nights needed really.:)

Old 13-11-2014, 00:38   #16
Fedaykin

Ugh, this is bad - Legion going back to PA?

I don't even have an IRC client on this machine.

You know you're old school when you try and log on to IRC and end up on quakenet...

Last edited by Fedaykin; 13-11-2014 at 00:46.

Old 13-11-2014, 06:44   #17
sigrid
/me fluffles BiggDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Ugh, this is bad - Legion going back to PA?

I don't even have an IRC client on this machine.

You know you're old school when you try and log on to IRC and end up on quakenet...

hey Feda.
Na, i dont think Legion is going back to PA as in being an alliance.
But a small but growing group of old schools is trying it out and liking it. Notthing bad about that I think:)
Hope you are well:)

Old 13-11-2014, 20:32   #18
androme

lol I love this diary sigrid, keep it up :D

you have touched the surface on alliance vs. galaxy - unfortunately, you must remain loyal to the alliance - at the same time, your galaxy can often save you when ur ally can't :|
PA - R3 - Legion - #32/100k+ players