Go Back   Legion Forums > Public Communications > The Colosseum

The Colosseum Public forum for some friendly chitchat

Legion: Nazi Symbolism
Old 13-04-2006, 23:15   #1
Gravitas

Legion: Nazi Symbolism

This is a serious query.

I've been browsing for new Manno guilds and VtS is on my list, however, upon seeing the eagle symbol on your site, along with your official name of Legion (which has its SS connotations), I wanted to know if the guild or any of its members subscribe to what the Nazis stood for.

I realize this post, if my notion is untrue, will invariably be construed as insulting, and if it is untrue I can only offer my apology. I simply must know, however, if it at all occurred to you that this (http://www.pzg.biz/eagle_party_plaque.jpg) is very identifiable with the appearance of your guild symbol.

~Gravitas

Old 13-04-2006, 23:31   #2
Rids
I'm boring

Our logo is based on the eagle of the Roman Legions, the eagle that was the standard carried by every single legion into battle for hundreds of years. Our motto's, Strength and Honour, and Victuri te Salutant, are also derived from Roman origins.

Quote:
Claire says:
altho if you want an easy lay, youv come to the right place

Last edited by Zak; 13-04-2006 at 23:52.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:35   #3
Relifex

Quite honestly, I don't know how to respond to such stupidity.

I can taste your fear, human. It is a tangible thing. I can run my fingers over it and drink deep of its sickly aroma. If this terror is the food of hatred, let me feast upon it and in the feasting destroy you utterly.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:37   #4
Tiddy
just slow

heh... wow

Might want to let this thread disapear before you post your app ;)

lol

Old 13-04-2006, 23:37   #5
Gaijin
Legionnaire

its a roman empire thing

Old 13-04-2006, 23:40   #6
Tobler
monster

Most entertaining thread for awhile lol

WoW: Rascal, Binty EvE: Kasdan ki AO: Tobleronee, Vipperjade, Kasdan
Do you have the time To listen to me whine About nothing and everything All at once.
<wal> happy ppls > epikz
<Ripafk> a guild with 60 ben's would rock

Old 13-04-2006, 23:44   #7
Tiddy
just slow

Well you see, Rome is part of Italy, which was part of the Axis forces. That means Legion isnt a Nazi guild, but just likes to hang out with them and drink all their beer.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:44   #8
Bociwen
Night of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas
This is a serious query.

I've been browsing for new Manno guilds and VtS is on my list, however, upon seeing the eagle symbol on your site, along with your official name of Legion (which has its SS connotations), I wanted to know if the guild or any of its members subscribe to what the Nazis stood for.

I realize this post, if my notion is untrue, will invariably be construed as insulting, and if it is untrue I can only offer my apology. I simply must know, however, if it at all occurred to you that this (http://www.pzg.biz/eagle_party_plaque.jpg) is very identifiable with the appearance of your guild symbol.

~Gravitas
You know, this is gonna come off as extremely...something, but here it is:

Do you seriously fucking believe that this guild would even exist in the games it does if it supported this ideal?

Are you seriously that fucking dense? Since you are all into looking up history, go a little bit further with your in depth research and you will in fact realize that our motto is Latin, that the eagle was used in the Roman symbolism, and that Legion was their term for their armies. (as rids has pointed out)

I know this is a little difficult to see what with your blinding rightousness and all, but if you can take long enough to dredge up the few facts you have busted out to justify this display of ignorance, you can take a few minutes more to look at facts and realize you are wrong.

(and btw, based on my readings, no part of the German Army during hitlers rule was termed a legion, i may be wrong though)

Bugger off and have a nice day.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:46   #9
Gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relifex
Quite honestly, I don't know how to respond to such stupidity.
Far from stupid.

Consider my point of view: I know nothing about your guild. I come to this site, and instantly identify that symbol with its most current usage, as many others would. I had a strong reaction to it, and rather than be quiet and remain in interpretative limbo simply so I don't ask a "wrong question," I proceed to determine the truth. I was unaware the Roman Empire adopted that symbol as well, and now it's clarified, but my interpretation remains far from invalid.

It's also quite likely that the Nazis borrowed this aspect of Roman symbolism, as the comparisons between the two empires are mulitple and apt.

I can only wonder if this was at all considered when the guild was being created.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:48   #10
Tiddy
just slow

I dont know what's more shocking, the first post in this thread... or the fact that Bociwen dropped more F-bombs than Rids.

Rids must have gotten laid last night... waaaaaaaaay too nice.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:50   #11
Venethor

Confusions do happen. No, we are not Nazi's, and in no way support their ideology. No need for a flame war.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:53   #12
Gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bociwen
Do you seriously fucking believe that this guild would even exist in the games it does if it supported this ideal?
Beliefs can remain covert, while symbols allude. It's like giving a nod in a direction rather than outright acknowledgement. It's certainly possible.

Quote:
Are you seriously that fucking dense? Since you are all into looking up history, go a little bit further with your in depth research and you will in fact realize that our motto is Latin, that the eagle was used in the Roman symbolism, and that Legion was their term for their armies. (as rids has pointed out)
There's no need for all the expletives my unhappy friend. I know your motto and I've been fascinated by it for some time, but simply because it's Latin doesn't imply a direct link to the Romans. As for the term Legion, it has an authoritarian connotation, which was enough for me.

Quote:
I know this is a little difficult to see what with your blinding rightousness and all, but if you can take long enough to dredge up the few facts you have busted out to justify this display of ignorance, you can take a few minutes more to look at facts and realize you are wrong.
A question is not a display of ignorance. And an apology for "my notion being wrong" was offered beforehand. Sorry it's a little difficult for YOU to see beyond your blinding righteousness, hypocrite.

Old 13-04-2006, 23:55   #13
icarus
Legionnaire

Hi, and welcome to our boards

Old 13-04-2006, 23:55   #14
Anunnak
The Polish Hammer

I can recall 1 Legion... Condor Legion.. but those were German Volunteers that fought during the Spanish Civil War on Franco's side..Fighter planes Bf 109!!! YELLOW NOSED GOBLINS

No we're not Nazi's

We do have Germans in Legion.. That must really make you think we're filled with Nazi's to the brim... doesnt it?

Old 13-04-2006, 23:56   #15
Zjozz
spacecake

Im from the Netherlands, nuff said.

(queue clog comment etc..)

Old 13-04-2006, 23:56   #16
Tobler
monster

Think the name of this very forum might of given away the roman theme rather than the nazi one.

WoW: Rascal, Binty EvE: Kasdan ki AO: Tobleronee, Vipperjade, Kasdan
Do you have the time To listen to me whine About nothing and everything All at once.
<wal> happy ppls > epikz
<Ripafk> a guild with 60 ben's would rock

Old 13-04-2006, 23:56   #17
Gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddy
heh... wow

Might want to let this thread disapear before you post your app ;)

lol
I realize that an implication of asking my question was to never be accepted into the guild. I accepted that outcome beforehand :P

Old 13-04-2006, 23:57   #18
sike
Singing tea boy

Once you pass our tests you'll find out who we really are.. only once you reach the inner circle of the legion.