Go Back   Legion Forums > Public Communications > The Colosseum

The Colosseum Public forum for some friendly chitchat

Old 25-02-2003, 16:36   #19
Mini

Speaking of futuristic weapons... check this out www.metalstorm.com

• 100% electronic, no mechanical moving parts
• unique 100% solid state system
• electronically variable rate of fire confirmed to one million rounds per minute
• application across a broad range of defence and commercial end uses

ROF 1 milion rounds/ minute <---- OMFG!!!

Don't think it fits the catagory of an assault rifle though :)

Old 25-02-2003, 16:44   #20
steam
SWTOR (Command)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mini
Speaking of futuristic weapons... check this out www.metalstorm.com

• 100% electronic, no mechanical moving parts
• unique 100% solid state system
• electronically variable rate of fire confirmed to one million rounds per minute
• application across a broad range of defence and commercial end uses

ROF 1 milion rounds/ minute <---- OMFG!!!

Don't think it fits the catagory of an assault rifle though :)
yeah and in the middle of the battle you run out of battery ... amazing weapon indeed .)

Old 25-02-2003, 16:55   #21
atolla

I think future weapons will be aimed at high precition long range weapons . Things like smart guided bullets and rockets . Imagine how much ammo and power you will need to keep these high fire rate weapons firing for 1-3 minitues ?

Old 25-02-2003, 16:56   #22
Johnny Rico

Being a U.S. citizen, whose residence is very much under the jurisdiction of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, I think it may be best to stay out of this debate entirely.

Big Brother is watching (and I'm not talking about the T.V. show)

JR.
Service Guarantees Citizenship

I only have one rule: Everyone fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you. -- Lt. Jean Rasczak.

Old 25-02-2003, 16:58   #23
Lantador

The danish version of the Colt Commando rifle upgraded with optical aiming scope and new barrel is by far the best weapon I tried in the army.

We call it a "Colt M95/M96", the M96 is the same weapon but with a shorter barrel (and thus slightly more inaccurate) and foldable end piece, for use by tank personnel and special forces. There also exist a sniper version with a very long barrel and a light machine gun version of this weapon. For the light machine gun version the techies had to actually move the front support legs back since else the weapon was too accurate for a light machine gun, where you do want the projectiles to spread out a bit. :D

The reason I see the Colt M95 as the best weapon, is mainly its stability. You can litterally pour as much mud and debris into this rifle as you wish, and still it will continue firing. Furthermore it has next to no recoil at all, makes little noise, and is extremely accurate, both at short ranges and longer ranges.

In training while I was in le army I saw both danish and american navy Sea-Air-Land (SEAL) teams use versions of this weapon, and since these units are very picky when it comes to weapons, it speaks of the high quality of this particular piece.

Ive also tried rifles and small arms from a few other companies, but really Colt beats everythng, even legendary H&K. So, if I was to choose a single rifle to take with me into whatever situation, this would be the one.

:D

Old 25-02-2003, 17:04   #24
Lantador

The only weapon I can imagine coming close to the Colt would be the AK-47, it has the power and the reliability, but it lacks accuracy.

Also the AK-47 uses 7.62MM and thus will propbably kill a man with a hit anywhere in the upper body, whereas the Colt uses 5.56MM (NATO Standard), which will mostly only severely injure an enemy, which is overall smarter in war. (A severely injured soldier is bad for morale since he will scream, will require people to transport away, and at least one medic/doc to attend to. A dead solider doesn't scream, and can just be left at the spot, thus he won't strain the enemy's logistics.)

If you do want a guy dead, the Colt is accurate enough for you to decide to shoot in the upper chest or head, which will instantly kill.

Old 25-02-2003, 17:07   #25
]x[
Legionnaire

AK47 offcourse, atleast if you don't fire it in to long periods. The heating of the barrel makes is less reliable then :S

The few, the proud, the expendable..

Old 25-02-2003, 17:11   #26
Lantador

One shot at a time is the way to go anyway with rifles, even with light machine guns you always try to keep your firing at 3-5 projectiles pr. burst maximum, and always at 3 if you're a good shooter, else you get both low accuracy, and a quickly overheated barrel.

Old 25-02-2003, 17:16   #27
atolla

Quote:
Originally posted by Lantador
The only weapon I can imagine coming close to the Colt would be the AK-47, it has the power and the reliability, but it lacks accuracy.

Also the AK-47 uses 7.62MM and thus will propbably kill a man with a hit anywhere in the upper body, whereas the Colt uses 5.56MM (NATO Standard), which will mostly only severely injure an enemy, which is overall smarter in war. (A severely injured soldier is bad for morale since he will scream, will require people to transport away, and at least one medic/doc to attend to. A dead solider doesn't scream, and can just be left at the spot, thus he won't strain the enemy's logistics.)

If you do want a guy dead, the Colt is accurate enough for you to decide to shoot in the upper chest or head, which will instantly kill.
There is also a bad side to this as an injured soldier still can shoot =) I think a mix of both weapons would be lethal thou

Old 25-02-2003, 17:55   #28
Zhukov

with a 7.62mm gun, you dont need to bother if the enemy has kevlar, or hides behind a tree :)

I shot with the Norwegian AG3 (based upon the German HK G-3), and its basicly a hand cannon.

what you really want is some sort of sniper rifle, Dragonov or the exelent Barret one.

Old 25-02-2003, 20:35   #29
Anunnak
The Polish Hammer

In my opinion the AK-47 is one of the best Assault rifles. It is the most widely used assault rifle. The Russian is better than the Chinese version due to the simple fact that the Russian model can be converted to a fully automatic rifle alot easier. Its cheap to produce and easy to sell just look at Nations of Africa and the Middle east. They mostly use AK-47.

Theres been many improvements on the AK like a small scoop placed under the barrel to prevent the recoil that plagued its Rate of Fire and accuracy.

Anyways

Anu

Old 25-02-2003, 20:54   #30
Lantador

If u want a hand cannon try the Browning 12.7 MM Heavy Machine Gun (Infantry Version). It's used in the danish infantry groups, cuz they like to carry 50 kilo tripod mounted guns around (heh). Its also used mounted on APC's and many types of tanks.

Anyway, it pwns anything from personel to APC's, and its mad fun to shoot (I've tried it). :D

Old 25-02-2003, 20:56   #31
Lantador

Quote:
Originally posted by Zhukov
with a 7.62mm gun, you dont need to bother if the enemy has kevlar, or hides behind a tree :)

I shot with the Norwegian AG3 (based upon the German HK G-3), and its basicly a hand cannon.

what you really want is some sort of sniper rifle, Dragonov or the exelent Barret one.
The Dragonov or the Barret 0.50 (12.7MM) can hardly be called assault rifles, they're more like moveable tank barrels really, cuz omg they shoot fucking hard. I've seen the barret demonstrated to shoot tank mines from 600 meters away. :D

Old 26-02-2003, 09:20   #32
Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Atolla
I think future weapons will be aimed at high precition long range weapons . Things like smart guided bullets and rockets .
but those can be stop by a <I-forget-what-it-is-called>(some sort of radio interferance thing.)

:dead:

Freelance puppy killer

Old 27-02-2003, 03:43   #33
Zhukov

Quote:
Originally posted by Lantador
The Dragonov or the Barret 0.50 (12.7MM) can hardly be called assault rifles, they're more like moveable tank barrels really, cuz omg they shoot fucking hard. I've seen the barret demonstrated to shoot tank mines from 600 meters away. :D
The Barret can hit targets at 1500 meters.. thats pretty nice :)
Also with a 12.7mm multipurpose bullet (with norway makes, and is "kinda" forbidden to use against people), your sure to kill any human beeing if you just hit somewhere in the chest

Old 27-02-2003, 10:38   #34
atolla

Quote:
Also with a 12.7mm multipurpose bullet (with norway makes, and is "kinda" forbidden to use against people), your sure to kill any human beeing if you just hit somewhere in the chest
Indeed you can kill , but i think each bullet adds an exstra cost wich doesn't make this weapon widely used in big operations

Old 27-02-2003, 10:48   #35
Quinn

Quote:
Actually you just have to hit near a person to cause serious damage with it :)

Old 27-02-2003, 11:01   #36
atolla

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinn
Actually you just have to hit near a person to cause serious damage with it :)
Imagine a weapon like this armed with a new smart self guided bullet , you can easely terrorize any armored vinicle out there shooting at the leading link (commander) inside the tank for exampel . They have small holes for visual u see .