Go Back   Legion Forums > Public Communications > The Colosseum

The Colosseum Public forum for some friendly chitchat

WoW, AO or SWG
Old 08-03-2006, 20:13   #1
DeEvil
Legionnaire

WoW, AO or SWG

well.. im starting to see the sun rise at the horizon and things are starting to look alot better..

i borrowed a x-box 360 from a friend, cause my comp just made me sad i couldnt reach the NeT, so i have just played half life 2, some shittie sims 2, playboy mansion, sudeki, GTA:sa, and some other stupid games.. well.. ok games, but not as much fun as AO or SWG or... maybe WoW..

i have only tried some WoW from a friend some weeks..or was it months ago.. cant remember anything anymore, kinda hard to do, when all i have been trying is to forget the last months...

the reason for this harresment-thread is that i have some questions..

as i was saying before, things looks much better, and i have strong urges to begin playing again.. and therefor my Q

SWG: is all my stuff gone in SWG, that i have earned and so on ? when now i havent played for 6-8 months or so, or was it like 1 year ago... ?!?!111

AO: some IRL friends say that all my stuff it still there, cause u never loose it, so thats kinda good to start playing..

WoW: or shall i buy this game now, is it soo good everyone says it is ?
and could a newbie like me get a few pointers ingame if i started playing WoW now ? can i join the ranks or must i earn it, like i did SWG first ?

soo.. any advice on how to do it ? shall i buy WoW, or install SWG and JTL, or install AO... ??

i wanna start living la vida loca, ala NeT-life again..
Damn mIRC, where are you when i need you ???!11

.:| edit |:. <-- that was my 300 post !! heh

”Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit”

"Silent leges inter arma"

Old 08-03-2006, 20:29   #2
Toxi
Sissi, Die kleine Kaiserin

Personally i <3 WoW, even if the past few patches has me worried :|

Its very user friendly, easy to learn and fun to play. I would at least give it a try and see how you like it.

As for AO, your stuff never disappears. But the game leaves a lot to be desired :/

And i never played SWG so cant help you there

Old 08-03-2006, 23:55   #3
Engiset
Ao Command

wow sucks
install ao ;)

Old 09-03-2006, 08:56   #4
HobbieRogue4
[ASC] Grunt

Planetarion.com

Old 09-03-2006, 09:19   #5
Iminay
I look good in High-Heels

if you end up picking wow, we play on the US servers, mannoroth. (this means you will need an american copy of the game)

Old 09-03-2006, 10:50   #6
steam
SWTOR (Command)

SWG shit is prolly still there too, however the game has totally changed.

I tried it, but the FPS style RPG is not quite my thing tbh, at least not how it is implemented in swg right now.

Also i think they just use SWG for a testing platform for an upcoming mmorpg over at sony atm.

WoW is the game to play if you have alot of time on your hands right now.

Till lvl 60 it´s prolly the best mmorpg i have ever played and if i was a student still id prolly still play it.

After level 60 however it turns into a grind fest, you need loads and loads of free time during the evenings to keep up with everyone equip wise and prolly even more time during the day to grind the newly introduced faction timesinks.

Running the same instance 100times only to be able to switch to the next instance to run 200 times and so on can be quite .. lacking .

But then i have quit so my opinion might be a bit biased .)

Most legionaires currently play wow on mannoroth and it is an ace game especially when you do a fresh start, so if you want to play with legion, give it a try.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:09   #7
Hecian
Legionnaire

I can't tell anything about SWG since I never played it.

I enjoyed playing AO for quite a long time, but eventually got bored with it, mainly because reaching 220 implies a lot of farming, and because good stuff only drops rarely (IMHO). To be honest, I played AO a bit longer than I expected, because playing it with Legion was awesome.

As for WoW, I only played it on a smaller scale than what Legion does on the US servers (played it on EU servers with local friends, in a guild of around 40 people), but the same issue that got me bored of AO made me quit it aswell : % based droprates, that have to be shared among several people, making equipment farming a bit too tedious for my taste. The WoW PvP gameplay seems way too objective-less to be attractive, not to mention the fact that once more, fights are %chances to hit driven.

I recently reopenned my EVE Online account, and I think this game deserves some attention. If the first few hours/days playing it might seem 'slow paced', I do like the fact that fights are less luck-driven than other MMOs (well, luck does count, but chances to hit are not depending on a 'flat' curve, but rather a 'bell shaped' one that is more predictable). I do like also the fact that most equipment is available in the ingame market, thus removing the intensive farming mandatory in other MMOs. The skill system adds another good point to that game : Since you do train skills even when you are offline, mixing HCG with casual people seems easier than in other games. Last but not least, EVE PvP looks very promising, territories can be claimed, and huge alliances are warring each other out on a daily basis (check this Map to get an idea of involved parties).

Hope this helped,

Regards.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:12   #8
Valhalla
Obesa Cantavit

Deevil....slutt å lure på sånn. Kom å spill WoW :)

Old 09-03-2006, 11:16   #9
Emohawk

Failing all those, Eve seems to be getting quite a following, although if I did actually have the net at home + the time and money I'd like to try WoW - heard alot of good things about it too...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:55   #10
Carpeia
Legionnaire

wow is the winner... never tried AO tho.. but spent my fair amount of time in swg :P which was very fun until CU :(

Old 09-03-2006, 12:34   #11
Animoy
Cyb0r Queen

AO - Loved it to 220, then wow came
WoW - Loved it till 60 + some months, then it turned into a huge grind that requires you to spend loads of time, and for what?
SWG - NGE is kinda...weird....fun....but didnt find it playable in the long run

Currently playing EVE, since I find it to be a game for all kinda people, not just the ppl with too much time on their hands. What you do ingame is also up to yourself, since there are almost no "rules" set by game itself.

Old 09-03-2006, 14:00   #12
darmok
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpeia
wow is the winner... never tried AO tho.. but spent my fair amount of time in swg :P which was very fun until CU :(
I found it most fun in the time after the CU until the NGE (pre-cu godmode sw:g was just stupid).

Old 09-03-2006, 14:53   #13
Kyrealean
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmok
I found it most fun in the time after the CU until the NGE (pre-cu godmode sw:g was just stupid).

god-mode as you call it (full doc buffs/entertainer) was a choice. You did not have to have it to survive in pre-cu. It was a challenge to go unbuffed out in the wild but it could be done. The sad part was that people liked it on ezmode heh. SwG after CU was complete crap.

to the topic :

AO - never played it so cannot comment

SwG - it is not worth the cash to spend on in it's current form imho. They have moved to a MMOFPSish kind of combat style. They have watered down the professions to 9 basics which include Jedi as a starter profession. They removed alot of its complexity with this latest NGE as well. No more CH/BE etc. They did change how experience works to more of a quest based style ala WoW, but in the end it is a waste of cash to think about going back to this extended beta test of a game.

WoW - started playing this last Nov. It is a decent game but very grindish to the casual player such as I. Takes a while to get to 60 unless your committed to spending countless hours at the computer. Every patch seems to introduce more time-sink faction grinds and a few new instances that take weeks/months to learn and get your group equipped to handle. This game is more suited to the power-gamer imho, the guy that has the time to spend every day to be the best and have the best equipment. Pros are there are many choices in how about you level and many different zones to explore. Pretty easy game control-wise and combat wise. Understand how stats work versus your class and half the battle is over.

the bottom line is in the end, you will have to choose what you want to play. Whatever your style suits you best.

From the Ashes of Good Intentions, come forth Lasting Friendships..... the Æternals

Old 09-03-2006, 15:07   #14
Carpeia
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmok

Well, when i start thinking of it a bit... krayts.. krayts.. krayts... god i had much fun killing those bastards... :P i must have killed quite a few 100's of em..

Start of CU was really nice for my WS business... and i miss that part of the game. But that got ruined... and i lost so damn much resources in my inactive period that it wasnt fun either :P

Still, should be quite a lot of rares in my houses if its still up.

Old 09-03-2006, 16:57   #15
Rewq
Major Bigbutt

In my opinion if you play with Legion, any MMORPG = some kind of grind

So at the end, the game dont really matter, some peoples will get bored fast with any thing, some will not and more play just to pass time and hang around with guild friends.

I dont have an opionion on SWG.

AO is an old game . with an outdated GUI in general. And you cant expect much patch or expansion for the future.

WoW is relatively new with an HUGE players base and a respected game producer. If they can come with a real PvP motivation like Notum War it's going to be perfect.

AO Trader 209
WAR Shaman LV 40 RR 51
SWTOR Operative LV 50

WOW-WoD Priest 100

+ I've got a pair of Gohills boots. And I've got fading roots.[/COLOR]

Old 09-03-2006, 19:32   #16
steam
SWTOR (Command)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewq
#
WoW is relatively new with an HUGE players base and a respected game producer. If they can come with a real PvP motivation like Notum War it's going to be perfect.
That is about when i would reactivate .)

Old 09-03-2006, 19:42   #17
Icewolf
wiseass *g*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam
That is about when i would reactivate .)
that's what i am really waiting for as well, I so miss good PvP - daoc style (never really played AO long enough to experience Notum Wars). daoc RvR is the best MMORPG PvP i have ever seen so far, WoW has the potential to be as good, but they are too afraid that good guilds will dominate it...

cu starside
Ice

Old 10-03-2006, 16:12   #18
DeEvil
Legionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla
Deevil....slutt å lure på sånn. Kom å spill WoW :)

WoW it is then, sounds more fun, and i dont like the idea what they have done to SWG, after have read what you guys answered, and alo of forums about the subject..

AO isnt that fun anymore, im a doc lvl 150, just running around healing the big guys in the guild i was in.. never earning anyhing myself, either it was creds or experience.. so it wasnt fun anymore..

I´ll look into new access to the net at my apartment and open up a line soon.

www.tds.com offered nice connections.. 28/mbit for only 149 SEK !! =)
and it will suite my new comp i just has set up.

so Val.. i´ll be there in a sec ! heh

”Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit”

"Silent leges inter arma"